The Office of Undergraduate Student Services in the College of Engineering and Information Technology provides advising for Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Engineering, and Computer Science majors. Students are eligible to declare their major upon admittance to UMBC. However, students must complete the required gateway courses before officially being admitted to the College of Engineering and Information Technology.
Computer Science and Engineering students are advised in Undergraduate Student Services until they have completed the gateway–once the gateway is complete, they are advised by faculty within the respective department.
College of Engineering and Information Technology, Undergraduate Student Services, assists Engineering and Computer Science Students with orientation, registration, academic advising, and campus referrals and are here to assist with general questions and concerns.
- Students may contact an advisor to schedule an appointment or visit during walk-in hours, which are posted weekly.
- All engineering and computer science students must meet with an advisor in COEIT at least once each semester to discuss course options and to obtain clearance to register.
- Students are encouraged to meet with an advisor to discuss any questions about classes, scheduling, academic difficulty, and transferability of courses.
Academic advisors assist students in
- Selecting a major
- Planning a course of study
- Pre-registering classes
- Answering questions about their academic program
- Providing students with the tools they need to be more self-sufficient.
Student Services offices are located in ITE 202-207.
Join our myUMBC Group!
Engineering and Computer Science Advising Group has information for all Engineering and Computer Science students.