Transfer Information


Transfer students who apply for admission to UMBC and select Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Engineering Undecided, or Computer Science as their desired major will have their transcripts evaluated by the College of Engineering and Information Technology to determine eligibility.

All students who meet the eligibility requirements for their respective major at the time of application will be admitted as a Pre-Major. Students will be admitted as Pre-Chemical Engineering, Pre-Mechanical Engineering, Pre-Computer Engineering, or Pre-Computer Science. Students may also choose Pre-Engineering if they are undecided about which Engineering discipline they want to pursue.

Students will be moved from Pre-Major to Major status when they have passed their gateway requirements, met all academic policies of the University and College (including repeat policy), and have their gateway processed by the College of Engineering and Information Technology.

Transfer Students who are eligible to pursue their respective major but have not yet passed the gateway will complete gateway requirements at UMBC during their first semesters of enrollment.

Students who are accepted into the University having already met the Gateway requirements for their major will remain a Pre-Major until all transcripts with final grades have been received, posted by the Registrar’s Office, and processed by the College of Engineering and Information Technology. Typically, this will happen after the first semester of enrollment at UMBC.

Students who are not eligible for a particular major due to gateway or course repeat issues will not be able to pursue that major at UMBC.

Students can find our gateway and course repeat information here.


Major Information

Students who would like additional information about their major should consult the departmental websites below:

Business Technology Administration 
Chemical Engineering
Computer Engineering
Computer Science
Information Systems
Mechanical Engineering


Individuals interested in obtaining transfer application requirements, applications, and deadlines are encouraged to visit the Transfer Student Information on UMBC’s Admissions webpage to obtain more information.

Students transferring from four-year institutions, in-state or out-of-state, and from out-of-state community colleges, must provide course descriptions and course syllabi to determine course equivalencies. It is the student’s responsibility to locate and provide all of the necessary information (including course descriptions, syllabi) to facilitate this more detailed course-by-course review. More information about the transfer credit process can be found on the Registrar’s Office Transfer Credits web page. Students transferring to UMBC from Maryland Community Colleges have access to ARTSYS, the Articulation System for Maryland Colleges and Universities.