Skip to Main Content

Document Your Aptitude in English/Writing

Students who will need to take ENGL100 (or ENGL110, for non-native speakers of English) to meet UMBC’s English Composition requirement for graduation must take the English Placement test unless they have a placement test exemption.

Please be aware that UMBC asks students to complete their English Composition requirement within their first 30 credits taken at UMBC and prior to any writing intensive course. Each COEIT major has a writing intensive course required in the sophomore or junior year. If your test scores or coursework does not meet UMBC’s English Composition requirement, be sure to follow up with the Learning Resources Center for English Placement testing immediately.

Transfer students from out of state community college and most four year colleges may need to have their English coursework evaluated by the Department of English to determine equivalency. Please talk to an advisor about having your course evaluated if you do not receive ENGL 100 credit for a composition course that was taken at a non-Maryland community college or any four-year institution.